Itinerary of Pistoia Town.
Holidays in Tuscany, Pistoia
We can Start
Cathedral of St. Zeno:
The ecclesia SS. Zenonis, Rufini et Felicis is mentioned for the first time in a notarial action worded in September of 923, but a cathedral church had to exist to Pistoia at least since the V century.
Documented in fact, that already in this period the church city pits autonomous and sets under the guide of a proper bishop. According to the tradition, the building altomedievale would have been entitled to St. Martin, bishop of Tours, dead in 397, and, subsequently, under the domination longobarda, it was entitled saint a great deal loved by this population to St. Zeno. To this Saint the Saints Felice, Ruffino and Proculo as contitolari of the church were also added. Some paleocristiana is not to everything today it notices the native location; recent studies (N. Rauty, 1987) they don't exclude the hypothesis, already partly sustained by the more ancient historical tradition, of a situated Episcopal church on the busy place then in the parish of Sant'Andrea; but it is not even discarded the conjecture that the cathedral can have been built in a first time in the area where the monastic complex of St. Pier Maggiore now rises.
Church of St. Bartholomew in Slush
The existence of the church is documented since 746. Its foundation must be does to go up again see you later the 726 year in which Gaidoaldo, archiatra of the kings Desiderio and Adelchi, purchase fields and houses next to the stream Brana to be able to build us a monastery. Besides the church and to the monastery the documents inform us that annexed a hospice to these buildings it was found, also and not far another more ancient monastery devoted to St. Silvestre that subsequently it was united to that of St. Bartholomew.
Church of St. Francis
The construction of the church had beginning in 1289. It was erect in the same place on which Saint Maria Maddalena rose to the Lawn, that had been surrendered francescani to the monks from the canons of the cathedral in 1248. The jobs had beginning from the west side, procedettero toward the transetto, then they were moved to the apse, and for last they interested the east sides and north.
Basilica of the Madonna of the humility
The basilica of the Madonna of the humility was founded in 1495 upon project of Giuliano from Sangallo (Florence 1445 ca. - ivi 1516), to which the charge had been given to build a more proper building for the miraculous image of the Madonna on a wall of the old church of Saint Maria Forisportam. The jobs procedettero with a certain quickness under the direction of Future Vitoni (Pistoia 1522) up to 1513: to this date the church had already completed the hallway and the octagon up to the first order of the chapels. Since then and up to the death of the Vitoni, the construction of the building shows signs of stalemate stopping to the second order of the gallery.
The building, that introduces evident signs of sixteenth-century interventions, rises on the area of the first surrounded of urban boundaries and is constituted by the aggregation of varied buildings, the most ancient of which. bordering with the Cathedral, it is still well visible. The more meaningful architectural element, perfectly in line with the models of the late Florentine mannerism, is constituted by the portal of entry, surmounted by the coat of arms of the Rospigliosis, that is opened on the Ripa of the Salt with an elegant staircase to double ramp.
Via Ripa del Sale, 3 - 51100 - PISTOIA
In the three ample adjoining places in the monumental rooms of the apartment Rospigliosi, finds today place the new Museum of the Diocese of Pistoia. The precedent (1968) it was situated in the places of the Episcopalian Building of street Puccini. The Museum entertains objects and furnishes sacred deriving from the whole territory of the Diocese pistoiese, with a choice that not only follows a qualitative criterion, for their artistic historical value, but also safety.
Offers summer 2021 Tuscany